Monday, October 11, 2010

Film review warm up for The Social Network


When I first saw the theatrical trailer for this my immediate reaction was THUMBS DOWN ALL THE WAY DOWN.  And for so many reasons-the main character, played by the dude in the Squid and The Whale, seriously BUGS.  Although, if one must cast this nerd in a movie, I suppose this would be the one.
Gross!


But then I found out that this new flick about facebook was directed by David Fincher.

This guy is a total cynicist. His filmmaking style is inherently dark, but lately he's really going for something with serious mass appeal.  Not that his other movies weren't fairly massive, but I think he really wants to be in the big alpha ranks a la James Cameron.  I like to believe he is moving in this direction not so much for the money, but for the artistic freedom he can acquire once he's truly working his medium into a masterpiece.  Then, BAM!, I swear to god he's gonna manipulate audiences so hard that they won't even know what hit them.  Rad.  So if he must make a movie about facebook, so be it.  He's pretty much already gained my unconditioning approval since Zodiac.

No comments:

Post a Comment